Thursday, March 13, 2014

DPR Korea - (1999) Charles Darwin 챨즈 다윈과 진화론

주체88 (1999) DPR Korea - Charles Darwin

This is my very first post and my first stamp I have ever bought from DPR Korea.
I will translate the contents of this stamp, so that you could understand its contents, and make notes in your own collection.

챨즈 다윈과 진화론: Charles Darwin and the Theory of Evolution" [Top Bolded Large Text]
진화론의 창시자 챨즈 다윈: The Founder of the Theory of Evolution, Charles Darwin. [Above Charles' Head]
1809-1882
조선우표, 주체88: Chosun Stamp, Juche 88 (1999) [White Space]
DPR Korea
2원: 2 won.

챨즈 다윈 출생 190돐: The 190th birthday of Charles Darwin (1809-1999)

So, the 88 prior to the 1999 means "Juche years," according to the DPR Korea reckoning of time.  If I am not mistaken, they count time from when Kim Il Sung was born, so it was only the year "88" when it was 1999 A.D. for the rest of the world.  I wonder what North Koreans think when they see "1999," but then again they probably do not have an opportunity to see this stamp.

Quality: MNH.




One other stamp / stamps from this collection appears below.


척추통물들의 갈기기판


Quality: Not owned yet



No comments:

Post a Comment